Along with the rest of my proposal. It was a hell of a week, as I got caught up in a different project, as well, so time was pretty tight.
In other news, here are a few more swords I made in Alchemy:
And an organic-looking axe (which reminds me, I need to finish that draft post about organic weapons). I got a bit carried away with this one, I admit.
…Now onwards to keeping up to date with my Gantt chart!
Here I looked at some swords from Oakeshott’s “Records of the Medieval Sword” and picked out the more bizarre/interesting elements: atypical pommels and crosses.
After a while, I have come across the revelation that, out of the melee weapons (or weapons based on historical designs), maces are the most versatile (though flanged maces seem to be an exception, and I will expand on this in a future update). As long as the top is heavy, there are few limitations to the form. This page explores this idea:
Finally, a short exploration of curved blades and crossguards. A lot of the blade shapes are based on falchions, which, put simply, are weaponized cleavers. They work differently to straight swords and are a sort of middle ground between swords and axes.
I fired up Alchemy today and recorded my session. This function takes a snapshot of you progress at set intervals. I decided to use this to make sure I don’t lose any sketches regardless of how bad they may be, as they would give me source for commentary. For now, I have focused on axes, because they are simpler than swords, and, I feel, easier to deviate from the historical and practical examples without losing too much authenticity.
Here is the first couple:
With this first example, I wanted to keep the process fairly loose, mainly focusing on finding good shapes.
For my second run through, I started off with symmetry on, the beginning of a double-bitted axe, which, for me, is a true bone of contention with fantasy art. More on that later, though:
With this one, I made conscious design decisions: I have constructed and eliminated most structural flaws (possible weak points in the blade, such as points that were stretched too thin), brought the blades closer to the hilt and eventually shrunk the unnecesary second blade into a stylized set of spines.
Later edit: This exercise was a very, very welcome break from paperwork and reading.